Sunday, August 10, 2014

an outfit: feeling blue


Here's the thing about summer: I usually end up staying at home the entire day. I'm not a loner or a recluse...but I do somehow end up losing touch with a lot of friends, simply because we've all become pretty busy with work and school. So basically, I don't have a reason to go out.

After spending six consecutive days in either pajamas or leggings and a t-shirt, I felt an itch to just put together an outfit for the sake of it. This was the (very simple) result.

1.) Printed blue box dress, DIY. My mom's been working her way through a pile of fabrics this summer, and she made this for me to keep cool under the raging California sun. It's a pretty loose, boxy shape of a dress, but for whatever reason, that's the shape I've been preferring these days. The color is a gorgeous cobalt blue, which, if you didn't know, is my favorite color. I have to say that the print is a little old-fashioned, but I have a fondness for it. Almost like I'm nostalgic for whatever past belongs to this print. But that's just me getting poetic.

2.) Pearl statement necklace ($8), XXI. This is a necklace I bought on a whim and dug up recently, after it had been buried under piles of jewelry in my accessory box. It's super big and definitely not the kind of thing I'd usually wear. What I did appreciate about this necklace was the fact that it was just a bunch of pearls shaped into an almost collar-like appearance, which is a pretty simple way of creating a statement necklace when it's Forever 21. Simplicity is the name of the game, and the white of the (fake) pearls and the blue of the dress match beautifully. Given the shape and old-fashioned print of the dress, I'd like to say this statement necklace is like the upgraded version of the "string" of pearls that housewives of the 50's wore so iconically.

3.) Sand oxfords ($4), thrifted. To keep the outfit from getting too precious, I switched out sandals or pumps for a pair of oxfords. They keep the old-school feeling in check while also adding a sense of masculinity to an otherwise super feminine piece. To be honest, these are a pair of shoes that haven't seen much sunlight either; I wore them once to school, and then forgot about them in a box under my bed. I do think I'll wear them more often; most of my other oxfords have gotten too worn out to wear on a long-term basis anyways.

Like me of summer, these three pieces have rarely seen the sun. I didn't choose these pieces with that specific thought in mind, and yet, when I pieced it together, that was what happened. Accidental poetry is a wonderful thing, if only because it makes you look cool. Or not. Yeah.

But it is interesting that this outfit turned out the way it did. To be honest, I didn't really choose the pieces with a lot of analysis; I just thought they looked good together. It was only after that I realized how a lot of it did actually fit together thematically...which goes to show, there's a lot of things in this world that's easy to BS. And fashion is one of them.
_____________________

Did you like this outfit? What would you wear if you haven't been out in a while? Tell me in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love this! WEAR IT TO SCHOOL PLEASE <3

    xx, Chaereen | Bittersweet Peppermint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you ~ I was thinking about it for the first day...but dresses and air conditioning...heh

      Delete