Wednesday, September 3, 2014

august favorites


Well hello, it's that time of the year again.

Month. That time of the month.

NO, not like that time of the month. You know...yeah, let's forget it. I'm never going to be funny.

Anyways, I don't have as many products to share with you today as I did last month, but there are still some pretty great ones. Click to see more!




>>>> Peach Hand Lotion - Tony Moly (Korea)

This was a gift from a friend (Hi Chaereen!) and I absolutely love it. We call it the gradient nipple cream, because the packaging does look like a gradient nipple, but other than that, it smells BOMB. As soon as I opened the lid, I got a whiff and thought for a moment that there were actual peaches around. The lotion has also been great at keeping my hands soft, which is a thing because my hands are actually pretty rough. Years of dishwashing I say, but I also don't regularly use lotion. But this one just smells so good that as soon as I see, I have the urge to put it on. And try to eat it. Not really. But yeah.


>>>> Dr. Eslee Physical Sunscreen - Korea

I've been in need of a solid (not literally) sunscreen that also works for my skin. As you know, I break out a ton, so I've been keeping away from anything particularly oily or pore-clogging. I was going to go for Neutrogena's Ultra-Sheer Sunblock in 50 SPF, but this one came along when my mom's friend sent it to me. Specifically meant for acne-prone skin types, it also contains zinc, an ingredient that helps reduce pimples and large bumps. While the lotion does wear off in two hours, I've still been using this product everyday since school started, and so far, it hasn't disappointed.


>>>> Bottle Cap Necklace - DIY

Fun story about this bottle cap: I don't know where it's from. As in, I found it on the ground one day and kept it, because I'm a hoarder and I do weird things like that sometimes. So I guess it's not the most sanitary thing to do, but the design, man, the design. It's just my style.

The thing about some accessories is that sometimes, the effect is quite small, and the only reason the piece is even added to an outfit is for the pleasure of the wearer. I think this necklace is really representative of that fact, because I feel like I'm the only one who really likes it. Also, I put a lot of effort into it! I had to drill a hole through the top and comb through useless piles of necklaces to find a chain and an attachment piece. It's also pretty much the only DIY thing I've ever done, so I'm proud of it.

Yay for effort?


>>>> Printed Romper - Goodwill (Thrifted)

Yes, this is a romper, not a dress. I'm not really one for rompers because of the hassle you have with having to unzip everything for the bathroom, but this piece is just insanely comfortable. I haven't worn it to school because of my terror of the Arctic air conditioners, but it's perfect for lounging around in on a hot Saturday afternoon. California's temperatures don't seem to be cooling down at all, so I'm looking forward to wearing this everywhere for the next month or so.



>>>> Runaway - Alice Munro

I've been trying to brush up on short stories because I have a portfolio (full of short stories!) due this October. Alice Munro is famous for her work on women and the way her stories, as compact as they are, have an impact on how we perceive gender roles, and she's been a great inspiration to finding brevity as a tool during the writing process. I really enjoyed this particular collection because of the theme, which is one that I'm connecting to a lot at the moment. The stories I have planned are also about women, so she's been a valuable guide throughout August.

Munro is also a Nobel Prize winner, so I think that speaks for itself about her writing abilities.


>>>> The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson

Yes, it's another Wes Anderson movie, simply because he's the only director worth putting aside my mountain of work and immersing myself into film for two hours. I wasn't able to see his latest until last month, and holy crap, dude. Absolutely freaking beautiful. I feel like he outdid himself in terms of the visual effects and Ralph Fiennes was an absolute phenomenon as the head concierge of the titular hotel. The deft sense of humor and heart-tugging themes were all there, adding heart and wit to the spectacular visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment